ATHLETE CAREER TRANSITIONS
"Jason Levin came to our annual Career Night at Georgetown University and blew the room away with his energy, knowledge and experience in the pursuit of a career path for our young men. He has a way of looking at the job search from a different angle; one that's loaded with creative ideas and integral insights that only experience can provide. We hope that Jason is an annual contributor to our event and I couldn't recommend him any higher". Peter Wilk, Head Baseball Coach, Georgetown University
Let’s talk about you and your career goals and the types of careers for former athletes that are available today.
From high-school to college to the professional ranks, your athletic career has been a journey. You committed hours and hours each day to practice, so you could perform at your best. Your ability to prepare for every scenario will serve you well in your next step.
Engaging a career coach can help you develop ideas on your athlete career transition and understand how to position yourself for a career in an office. Together, we will:
- Define your career interests
- clarify your strategy to achieve goals
- build an intentional approach to your relationships
- articulate an actionable plan
- work to execute the plan
Whether you intend to land a job, get a promotion, change careers or plan a retirement transition, Ready Set Launch can help. An athlete career transitions can also focus on starting, and growing, a small business.
I played football at Union College and graduated in 2013. After several years in the workforce, I decided to get an MBA. Jason Levin proved to be a truly invaluable resource during my career transition. He leveraged his years of career coaching experience to create a clear and actionable strategy that would go on to define my career path. From exploring potential career fields to developing a comprehensive game plan, to extensively preparing for final interviews, Jason proved to be an exceptional mentor and coach. He helped integrate my student-athlete story into my professional story. I credit much of my success today to his methods and guidance. I would recommend Jason's services to anyone who wishes to further their professional career.
Brian R. Gaffney, Senior Consultant, Booz Allen Hamilton
Ready, Set, Launch, LLC services for athletes in career transition include:
Career Planning & Professional Self-Awareness Analysis
Where to begin your athlete career transition? Let’s take a look in the mirror to understand your strengths, motivations, skills and interests.
Job Search Strategy Development & Outreach Tactics
Having order and a clear process is critical to a successful job search! Let’s work together to target specific sectors, industries, employers and roles.
Job Search for Retired Athletes
We will work together to help you transition to a new role. We can begin to translate the skills that you utlizied as an athlete and brainstorm ideas on specific industries, employers and roles where it could be a match. If you are the one that wants to be the employer, then lets develop your plan to make it work.
Resume & LinkedIn
I will work closely with you to create a customized executive resume and LinkedIn profile, so that you are communicating your talents in the best way possible. View my webinar on resume writing.
My Personalized Resume Process
1) Questionnaire – Key Accomplishments - In advance of a phone interview, I ask you to complete a questionnaire to describe the 3 things you are most proud of in your career, regardless of when they happened. If you are applying for a specific job, feel free to think of the 3 most important aspects of the job and how your accomplishments might match up.
2) Interview – Our interview will be a review of your questionnaire responses along with understanding your current resume. This interview can take place either in-person or via phone. Usually interviews take 60-90 minutes.
3) Draft Delivery and Versioning - My resume writing style is to report what you have achieved. It is not about being “flashy”, but rather a summary of core challenges, stakeholders, actions, and accomplishments, so a reader can get a sense of your skills, values, relationships and personal brand. In 7-10 business days, I send you a resume draft, and we begin the editing process until the facts are right and you believe it to be “game ready”. Unlike other resume writers that limit you to a certain number of document revisions, I do not have a limit on document revisions.
4) Get External Feedback - You send your resume to 3 people in your professional circle who would be in a position to hire you for input. I remain at the ready to incorporate the feedback.
5) Final Version - Your resume is ready to go
Interview Coaching for Athlete Career Transition
We will review the job spec together to anticipate interview questions and will work on your message and your ability to connect with your interviewer. Our goal here is to help you learn to articulate how the skills you learned as an athlete can apply to your career in a professional environment.
We will simulate a “real interview,” to increase your confidence with the process.
What should you be asking for? Let’s work together to negotiate a compensation package.
Integration Plan for Athlete Career Transitions
You have the new job, now let’s make sure you get off to the right start! While your athletic skills can, and will, support your professional career, there are going to be a lot of differences. We’ll work together to ensure you’re prepared for an office culture.
As your athletic career transitions into a professional role, having a mentor to provide guidance along the way can support your professional growth. Let’s take an intentional approach to managing your internal stakeholders.
Annual Review Preparation
Be recognized and rewarded for your accomplishments. Let’s work on how to articulate your achievements.